Monday, August 10, 2015

Red Chinese (CHARSU) Pork


This is My Recipe for making Red Chinese (CHARSU) Pork I saw this made on a TV show of Guy Fieri,  on D D & D, a restaurant in Hawaii Makes, and I just had to make my own so I researched recipes and this is my version of how I made it, including a homemade hoisin sauce. It turns out so tender and sweet, melts in your mouth with each bite.


What you Need:

1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup hoisin sauce(I make my own recipe is here)
3 tablespoons ketchup
3 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
1 (2-pound) boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt), trimmed and sliced in half long way
1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
1 bottle red food coloring(optional but I leave it out, it's just to color the meat and it's not necessary really, adds no taste)


How to make it:

First day preparation:
First slice the pork shoulder or butt roast in half the long way so it's thinner, then in half the short way so you basically have 4 pieces
To make the marinade, combine the first 8 ingredients in a marinating container just large enough to hold the pork snug - or - in a Ziploc plastic bag. Reserve 1/4 cup of marinade for glaze. Add the pork, turn well to coat, and refrigerate at least 24 hours and not longer than 48 hours.
Second day preparation:
Preheat oven to 450°F Set a pan filled with 1" water on the bottom rack.
Combine the honey, 2 Tbs. soy, sesame oil, and 1/4 cup pork marinade in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Set aside.
Place pork strips on broiler pan and put on rack above water pan. Roast 10 minutes.
Brush with 1/3 of the glaze, roast 10 minutes more, and then lower the heat to 350°F
Brush with half of remaining glaze and roast 10 minutes more.
Brush with remaining glaze and turn off oven. Remove from oven after 5 minutes and cool to room temperature on a rack , serve it up!
I made Baked Macaroni and Cheese to go with this





Here's my recipe for Baked Macaroni and Cheese







No comments:

Post a Comment