Monday, August 10, 2015

Fresh Hoisin Sauce



I cook a lot of Chinese and often I find recipes that call for Hoisin Sauce and it always seems I am out so I got to thinking I bet I can make my own, and guess what You can and you will save money because you probably have what you need in the kitchen.
Here is my recipe for Hoisin Sauce, it's easy and fresh when you need it There is a small quantity and a large depending on how often you use it


What you need:
Hoisin Sauce-small quantity
1/4 c. low-sodium soy sauce
1-2 T. black bean paste or creamy peanut butter(I prefer PB)
1 T.  molasses, honey, or brown sugar, firmly packed (I used molasses)
2 t. unflavored rice wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, or white vinegar (use use rice wine vinegar)
2 t. sesame oil
1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 t. garlic powder (I used the powder)
1/8 t. onion powder
2 t. cornstarch
10 drops hot sauce, preferably Chinese (you can leave it out)
1/8 t. black pepper

Combine soy sauce, peanut butter, molasses, vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, onion powder in a glass measuring cup.  Microwave on high 30 seconds to melt peanut butter for easier mixing.  Beat with a wire whisk until well blended  and cool.  Stir in cornstarch, beating until well blended.  Microwave 30 seconds to 1 minute until mixture is thickened.  Stir well.  Add hot sauce and black pepper.  Makes about 1/3 cup.

Hoisin Sauce-large quantity
1 c. beef broth (low sodium if possible)
1/2 c. low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 c. dry sherry or white wine
2 T. cornstarch
2 T.  molasses
2 T. brown sugar
2 T. tomato paste
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 t. ginger
black pepper to taste

How to Make it
Combine all ingredients in a 1 qt. glass measuring cup or microwave-proof bowl.  Stir with a whisk to dissolve cornstarch.  Partially cover with plastic wrap.  Microwave on high 2 minutes.  Stir with whisk.  Microwave 1 1/2 to 2 more minutes until thickened.  Stir again with whisk until smooth. Ingredients may also be put in a small saucepan, and mixture cooked on the stove until boiling and thickened.  Let cool and store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
Makes about 2 cups.

Try this recipe with my sauce for Hoisin Chicken Stir-Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment