Friday, October 18, 2013

Minestrone Parmesan Soup


I came home from a busy day today and it has been getting colder all day and raining off and on, supposed to freeze tonight. So I decided what to cook up....Minestrone Soup
The good thing about making Minestrone soup is you can throw any veggies you like, or have leftover in the fridge or use frozen or even cans, it's so versatile that way, you can add a little meat if you really want to or leave it veggie based for a meatless meal.

Soup goes great with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches on a chilly or rainy day


So I got to washing and chopping Veggies(I always wash my veggies in a mix of white vinegar and water for about 5 minutes then rinse)
First I chopped up onions and garlic and celery
a combination of garlic, red onions and white onions chopped for the soup
Then I chopped up my carrots and potatoes next
I did use Red potatoes today but you can use your choice

Once my veggies were pretty much chopped I Heated olive oil in a large pot over medium heat then I tossed in the onions and celery and garlic first and sauted them for about 5 minutes, really got the kitchen smelling good then next I added the  potatoes, carrots, Saute about 5 minutes.
Then I added the rest of my ingredients: Cans of beans, tomatoes, broth, and water, added spices and salt and pepper.
Here it is simmering



What you Need:
2 tablespoons olive oil
5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
5 carrots, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
1 sweet onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (16 ounce) can tomato paste
1 (16 ounce) can of diced tomatoes(you can use a couple cans of rotel if you like it a little spicy)
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (16 ounce) can vegetable broth
1 1/2 quarts water
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
1 tablespoon salt
2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to taste
Freshly chopped Chives to taste

What to do:
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir potatoes, carrots, celery, onion and garlic into pot Saute about 5 minutes. Mix in tomato paste, beans, broth and water. Season with basil, oregano and salt. Cook and stir 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. (since I used fresh veggies I simmer mine about 1 hour for full flavor)
Mix macaroni into pot. Continue cooking 10 minutes, or until macaroni is tender.
Stir in freshly grated Parmesan cheese and chives and serve hot.
We add crackers or bread cubes if desired


Note: This hefty soup is best prepared a day ahead and reheated to serve. Make 2 batches and freeze the extra.
Hint: May be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment