Saturday, October 5, 2013

Freezer Apple Pie Filling


I went to the store the other day to buy apple pie filling and decided to make my own, I save money in the long run and I have pure ingredients plus I notice I get more apples than buying it ready made.Freezer Apple Pie Filling! (5-8 Pies)

Ingredients
18 cups thinly sliced apples
 3 tablespoons lemon juice
 2 1/2 cups white sugar
 2 cups brown sugar
 1 cup cornstarch
 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
 1 teaspoon salt
 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
 10 cups water

Directions

In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and set aside. Pour water into a Dutch oven over medium heat. Combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add to water, stir well, and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add apples and return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until apples are tender, about 6 to 8 minutes.

Remove from heat and cover. Let cool about 30-40 minutes,
checking periodically. Your apples should be soft but not mushy.

Ladle equal amounts into 4-5 freezer bags. I wanted my bags to be the same size as
a can of apple pie filling tend to be around 21oz. so I put approx 2 1/2 cups into each bag.

Let cool on the counter and then freeze for up to one year.

Notes
The filling may seem a little bit runny once it's done but it thickens up as it cools.

To defrost the bags, you can leave them in the fridge overnight or use the defrost mode on your microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment