Saturday, October 5, 2013
Apple Pie Egg Rolls
These little Apple Pies are a real treat and don't take that long to make, you can sprinkle with powdered sugar or fine regular sugar and cinnamon too if you like, plus I have a dreamy good dipping sauce for you.
These are baked NOT Fried so they are good for you.
Baked Apple Pie Egg Rolls
Makes about 16
apple pie filling:
2 cooking apples (abut 2 heaping cups), peeled and diced
1 lemon, juiced
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons instant tapioca pearls
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground all-spice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
16 egg roll wrappers
sweetened cardamom whipped cream:
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup superfine sugar (granulated is fine)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Place filling ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir together until well combined. Allow mixture to sit for about 10 minutes.
3. Lay 1 egg roll wrapper onto a clean surface and brush edge with a 1 inch perimeter of egg wash.
4. Spread 3 tablespoons of the filling across one side of the prepared egg roll wrapper.
5. Fold the sides over and brush with egg wash. Carefully roll filling tightly in the wrapper and press gently to seal.
6. Place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment and coat with a thin layer of cooking spray. Repeat until all the filling and wrappers have been used.
7. Bake egg rolls for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Serve immediately with sweet cardamom whipped cream (recipe follows).
sweet cardamom whipped cream:
Place cream in a mixing bowl and whip with a hand mixer, on medium-high speed. As the mixture thickens, slowly add sugar until fully incorporated. Add vanilla and cardamom and continue to whip until medium to stiff peaks form. Serve with baked apple pie egg rolls.