Saturday, September 7, 2013

Sweet 'n Sour Chicken! Stove Top or Slow Cooker

I have learned to make some really good home cooked Chinese, I have to say. This week I made
Sweet and Sour Chicken. This one takes some simple ingredients and is really tasty

First I got out my wok put it on your stove, drizzle some olive oil in it and get it hot
When hot put in your onions and saute them a few minutes till just tender, then add your chicken.
Cook till your chicken is nice and browned

while my chicken was cooking I cut up my veggies in chunks, we like them thick cut today you can slice as you prefer yours, thick or thin

Here are the zucchini, green peppers, and mushrooms(I left the mushrooms whole today)

Here is the chicken nice and browned, doesn't it look yummy?

Next I added the green peppers and cooked them about 5 minutes

Next I added zucchini and let this all cook another 5 minutes or so. I want the veggies a little crisp, not soggy so don't over cook at this point.

Ok while that is cooking I have my sweet and sour sauce ready, I give it a last minute stir, it's ready to add over the chicken and veggies

Ok sauce added over all, stir a few times gently and let it simmer about 5 more minutes. I sprinkled on some sesame seeds and added chives today

Here is the Sweet and Sour Chicken, Hungry?
Yes Me too, this was so good, I like making Chinese foods and trying new recipes as well as cooking up old favorites.
This one is pretty easy and No MSG or artificial flavors because it's all homemade. 
We also had a Spinach Cucumber and tomato salad with a drizzle of sweet italian dressing


Dinner is ready! Enjoy
Here is the recipe which you can also cook in the crock pot for a ready when you are dinner.

Sweet 'n Sour Chicken! Stove Top or Slow Cooker

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken thighs
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Sesame seeds & Green onions for garnish
Vegetables(your choice) I used zucchini, green peppers, mushrooms today

1 cup water
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced

Instructions
1. Brown chicken and onions over medium heat.
2. Mix together sauce ingredients. Pour over chicken & onions.
3. Simmer 35-40 minutes on low adding the red peppers in the last 5 minutes.
4. Combine water and cornstarch. Add to the sauce and let bubble whilte stirring for 3 minutes or
until thickened. Serve on rice.
5. Put chicken, onions & sauce in the slow cooker. Cook on low 6-7 hours or high 3-4 hours.
6. Combine water and cornstarch. Add water/cornstarch and red peppers to the sauce. Turn onto
high for 15-20 minutes to thicken, stirring frequently. Serve on rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment