For the steak:
1 lb thin cut beef round sandwich steaks(sliced)
8 oz sliced button/baby portabella/cremini mushrooms [your preference]
1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup steak sauce
1 cup beef broth
2 tsp fresh thyme
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
a couple pinches of sugar
garlic powder to taste
salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
For the sandwich:
12 oz French bread or baguette, cut into 4 pieces
8 slices cheese -your choice (I used Sargento provolone)
1. In a large skillet heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium high heat. Add the beef,sprinkle with a little pepper and touch of salt and brown
2. Add the onion cooking for about 3-4 minutes until they start to become tender, toss in the mushrooms and cook till tender. Drain all excess liquid.
3. Add the beef broth and steak sauce, thyme and vinegar, sugar and garlic and bring the mixture to a boil. Continue cooking until sauce is thick and bubbly.
3. While this is cooking, Split the buns and butter each side. Place the buns side down onto a separate skillet until golden brown.
4. To assemble, place the bun on the bottom. Spoon the meat mixture on top and top with slices of cheese.