Thursday, September 5, 2013
Caramel Maple Flan
Flan is rich, creamy yet light, a great dessert to make and serve
1/3 cup sugar
4 teaspoons water
4 teaspoons hot water
1/2 teaspoon whiskey, maple (optional)
1 2/3 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
5 pieces eggs
1 piece egg yolk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 325 degree F
2. Prepare 4-6 little oven-safe ceramic cups, spray with cooking spray. Then place
these cups into a baking pan
3. Boil some hot water, the hot water should come half way to the molds in roasting
4. In a small sauce pan, heat the 75g sugar and 20 g of cold water until the edge is
medium/dark amber color. Remove from heat and whisk in 4 teaspoon of hot water and ½
tsp of Maple Whisky.
5. Heat milk and 1/2 cup sugar until almost boiling. Beat the eggs and egg yolk in a
big bowl until pale yellow. Add the hot milk into the egg mixture in a steady stream
while beating. Don’t add too fast or the eggs will scramble. Sift the custard to make
sure no scramble eggs.
6. Divide the egg custard evenly into molds. Pour the hot water into the roasting pan,
water should come up to half way of the ceramic cups. Bake in the oven for 25-30
7. Remove the roasting pan from oven and let cool 15-20 minutes before serving. Run a
knife around the edges to release the flan, then invert it onto a small dessert plate.
Can also be served cold after refrigeration.
Keep for about a