Best Rolls Ever
- 2 c warm water
- 2/3 c nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 Tbsp dry yeast
- 1/4 c sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c butter
- 1 egg
- 4 1/2- 5 c all purpose flour
- In a Kitchenaid mixing bowl, stir in warm water and nonfat dry milk powder until it dissolves.
- Add yeast, then sugar, salt, butter, egg, and 2 cups of flour.
- Mix on low speed until ingredients are wet, then 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Add 2 more cups of flour, mix on low speed until ingredients are wet, then 2 minutes at medium speed. (You can switch your attachment to the dough hook at this point for easier mixing.)
- Add 1/2 cup flour again, mixing on low speed until wet, then 2 minutes at medium speed. You can add an additional 1/2 c if your dough is still too wet but I usually stop at 4 1/2 cups of flour total.
- Dough should be soft, not overly sticky, and not stiff.
- Scrape the dough off the sides of the bowl and pour about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil around the sides of the bowl so that the bowl is coated.
- Spray some plastic wrap with non-stick coating and place the plastic over the bowl. Allow it to rise in a warm place until the dough doubles in size and rises to the top of the bowl.
11. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 16 even slices.
14. Repeat steps 10-13 for the 2nd half of the dough and let them rise for 1- 1 1/2 hours, until double in size.
So get baking to warm up your home and your tummy during this VERY cold winter!